Thursday, July 30, 2009

Welcome to the R 'n' R @ WDW Blog!



I have finally given birth! So glad it wasn't too painful. This concept, this R 'n' R @ WDW idea has been percolating, incubating, growing until I just couldn't ignore it any longer and now, it has appeared in the form of a blog. Why am I writing this and how am I qualified?

I'm a huge Walt Disney World geek and fan of all things Disney! For those who didn't know this about me...it's a true guilty pleasure. For those who did know, well, I'm sure you're not surprised.

When my father visited Florida sometime late-1970/early-1971 to scout some places to move to (from New Jersey), I was just an infant. When I was older, I remember seeing the slides (pictures) from his trip, which included pictures from the Orlando area including a visit to the WDW Welcome Center. When I can, I'll have to scan those old slides and post them. I don't remember my first trip to WDW, but it was probably around 1973/1974 when I was just 4 or 5 years old. My dad could be a tough guy to live with, but he did love to go to WDW throughout his life and that's when I saw the softer side of him. My dad was a dreamer and I think he identified with Walt Disney. I know that he saw many of Walt's innovations at the 1964 World's Fair and those things left a lasting impression on him.

Growing up just a two hour drive from Walt Disney World meant that we were practically locals and I remember begging my parents to buy me just one more "E" ticket or "D" ticket or whatever ticket I needed to ride just one more ride. I remember the Skyway and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Horizons. When I was dating my wife, who lived 300 miles south of me, we would often meet in Walt Disney World and spent many happy days there together throughout our courtship and so it was only logical that we honeymoon there as well. We stayed at the Contemporary since there still weren't that many hotels on property in May of 1990 and we were hooked.

Walt Disney World has been a big part of our lives and we have watched it grow as we have grown. Now, as adults, we have learned how to really enjoy the Resort area without feeling rushed to see and do everything in one trip. And that's what this blog will be about. As I've often said, Florida residency has its privileges: frequent visits to Walt Disney World. Perhaps that's why so many people are moving here. Sorry, I digress.

I understand that for many people, a trip to Walt Disney World is a special, rare occasion. Some save for many years to visit, others can only visit during breaks from school or other holidays. So for many people, a visit to WDW is rushed...they must see and do it all during that trip or they will have to wait perhaps a long time until the next opportunity. For me, though, it will only be a matter of weeks or months until I visit again, so my view is: RELAX. ENJOY. SOAK IT UP. If I miss something, I'll catch it next time.

My hope is that I can impart some of that to you, the readers of and participants in this blog. Even if you must visit "commando" style, perhaps this blog will help you to just slow down, even for just a moment and smell the roses, listen to the music, or discover some other "hidden treasure" at one of the 'happiest places on earth.'

No comments:

Post a Comment